Thursday, April 30, 2015

Berkeley Symphony EarShot New Music Readings: Composer Q&A - Ryan Carter

Ryan Carter is one of the composers selected to participate in ACO's Berkeley Symphony EarShot New Music Readings on May 2 and 3. Ryan's selected piece The Clock Behind Me is inspired by an Arnold Schoenberg story, told in an interview by Ryan's former teacher Richard Hoffman. Read the full story in Ryan's program notes here.

Ryan was kind enough to answer some questions for SoundAdvice.

Composer Ryan Carter
What was your reaction to finding out your piece had been selected for the Berkeley EarShot New Music Readings?

I was thrilled to hear the news. I had previously listened to recordings by the Berkeley Symphony, and I’m tremendously excited to be working with this adventurous orchestra.

What preparations are you making ahead of the readings with the Berkeley Symphony?

In preparation, I’m mostly reviewing what I wrote. I composed this piece last fall and have worked on a few projects since then, so I’m discovering some surprises as I look back at the score. I tend to become deeply absorbed in whatever I’m currently composing and it takes some preparation to shift gears and remember what I had in mind while working on another piece.


Follow Ryan on Soundcloud

No comments: