Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Underwood New Music Readings - Composer Spotlight: Ryan Lindveit

Composer Ryan Lindveit’s works have been performed across the United States and around the world, by ensembles including Alarm Will Sound, “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band, Orkest de Ereprijs, the USC Thornton Symphony, and many others. His music has received recognition from BMI, ASCAP, SCI, the American Modern Ensemble, the National Band Association, Tribeca New Music, and the Texas Music Educators Association.

Ryan grew up in Texas and is a graduate of the University of Southern California, where he was selected as Salutatorian for the class of 2016 and named the Thornton School of Music’s Outstanding Graduate. He is currently a master’s student at the Yale School of Music. His past teachers include Aaron Jay Kernis, Christopher Theofanidis, Andrew Norman, Ted Hearne, Frank Ticheli, and Donald Crockett.

Ryan’s piece Like an Altar with 9,000 Robot Attendants was selected for the 2018 Underwood New Music Readings where it will be workshopped and read by American Composers Orchestra and maestro George Manahan. Ryan spoke to us about the readings and his piece.

Rehearsals, workshops, and final readings are open to the public on June 21 and 22 at NYU's Frederick Loewe Theatre (35 W 4th St). RSVP here

Composer Ryan Lindveit. Photo by Marije van den Berg
American Composers Orchestra: What was your reaction to finding out your piece had been selected for the Underwood New Music Readings?

Ryan Lindveit: I was elated! The Underwood New Music Readings have almost become a rite-of-passage for aspiring orchestral composers in the United States, so I am very happy to be a participant this year. Composing orchestral music is mostly lonely and laborious, and it is gratifying to receive the validation of having my piece selected for performance. 

ACO: Can you talk about what it's like to hear a new orchestral piece read for the first time as a composer? Can you talk about any moments in your selected piece Like an Altar with 9,000 Robot Attendants that stood out when it was read for the first time by the USC Thornton Symphony?

RL: It’s so exciting! Hearing my orchestral music performed is one of my favorite things ever. I become totally engrossed. When my piece was performed by the USC Thornton Symphony, I remember being so impressed by the energy and vitality of my colleagues in the orchestra, and I look forward to hearing a second performance by the professional musicians in ACO. 

ACO: What are you doing to prepare for the readings? Are there any changes you have made to your piece?

RL: First of all, I am packing because I will be flying to New York from Aspen, Colorado, where I am spending most of the summer as a composition festival at the Aspen Music Festival and School. Secondly, I am scoping out some new restaurants to try in the city. New York has *such* great food, and I feel like even a lifetime of exploring New York restaurants wouldn’t exhaust its food scene.  In terms of changes to my piece, after I found out I was selected for the ACO Readings, I made a few revisions to tighten the structural pacing and polish some particular orchestrational moments, but it was nothing too drastic. 

ACO: What are you most looking forward to about the Underwood New Music Readings? What do you hope to gain from the experience?

RL: First of all, I am excited that this will be my first performance in New York. I love any chance I have to visit the city, which thankfully I can do fairly often since I live in Connecticut. I am also very much looking forward to working with the performers in the American Composers Orchestra and Maestro George Manahan. Finally, I am stoked to have the chance to learn from the fantastic roster of composer mentors.

Hear Ryan's piece at the 2018 Underwood New Music Readings. Rehearsals, workshops, and final readings are open to the public on June 21 and 22 at NYU's Frederick Loewe Theatre (35 W 4th St). RSVP here

Learn more about Ryan at www.ryanlindveit.com
Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Soundcloud

No comments: